Gemechu Gerbi, Ph.D., MSc
Community Health & Preventive Medicine
Core Lead for both Biostatistics and Epidemiology and Director of Public Health Research in the Master of Public Health Program
Location: NCPC, Room 222
Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) Officer in the Epidemiology and Surveillance Branch, Division of Viral Hepatitis, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia
Degree: Doctor of Philosophy in Integrative Biosciences/Epidemiology
Degree: Master of Science in Veterinary Science/ Epidemiology
Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and Social Administration
Research InterestsEpidemiologic and social determinants of HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetes.
- Alexander T, Miles-Richardson S, Gerbi GB (2020). The Effects of Tuberculosis and Syphilis Co-Infection on HIV Viral Load and CD4 Cell Count among People Living With HIV/AIDS in Tanzania. J Infect Non-Infect Dis 5: 029.
- McKinney LP, Gerbi GB, Caplan LS, Claridy MD, Rivers BM (2020). Predictors of genetic beliefs toward cancer risk perceptions among adults in the United States: Implications for prevention or early detection. J Genet Couns. 2020; 00:1–11
- Gemechu B. Gerbi and Stephanie Miles-Richardson (2019). Predictors of not always Using Seatbelts among Adults in the United States: Findings from the 2016 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. ARC Journal of Public Health and Community Medicine. 2019; 4(1): 29-36.
- Gemechu B. Gerbi, Roxanne Williams, Barnabas Bakamutumaho, Stephen Liu, Robert Downing, Jan Drobeniuc, Saleem Kamili, Fujie Xu, Scott D Holmberg, Eyasu H Teshale (2015). Hepatitis E as a Cause of Acute Jaundice Syndrome in Northern Uganda, 2010-2012.” Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 92(2), pp. 411–414.
- Gemechu B. Gerbi, Loralee B. Rupp, Stephen C. Ko, Anne Moorman, Scott D. Holmberg, and Fujie Xu (2014). Reported reasons for testing among hepatitis B virus infected patients, — Chronic Hepatitis Cohort Study (CHeCS), United States, 2006–2010. Liver Int 13;34(6):e162-3.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Mentor (2020 MSM Faculty Gala)
- Distinguished Teaching (2020 MSM Faculty Gala)
- Outstanding Mentor of the Year (2019 MSM Faculty Gala)
- Best Embodies MSM Mission (2018 MSM Faculty Gala)
- Best Research Professor (2017 MSM Faculty Gala)
- The Reach Award (2015 MSM Faculty Gala)
- Member, Editorial Advisory Committee for The Nation’s Health-the official newspaper of the American Public Health Association (2015-2017).
- Member, Georgia Prevention and Care Council (2015 - Present).