Residents are required to complete a Senior Talk and an additional scholarly project/presentation prior to graduation. Examples of scholarly activity include a poster or oral presentation at a local, regional, or national conference, published "letters to the Editor," published case reports (first author) and published research manuscripts (all authors) partial or complete book chapters, and implemented PS/QI projects. Submitted, but not accepted manuscripts or posters will be judged on a case by case basis.
Conferences and presentations
Each year a number of residents are asked to present their scholarly work at conferences throughout the country. The Residency program and the Department of Medicine work in collaboration to sponsor residents for these important events with the following guidelines:
- Residents must be in "good standing" (not on probation or have issues related to professionalism)
- In addition to GA ACP the Department will sponsor two additional conferences per year.
- All sponsorship is based on availability of funds.
- Notification of invitation to present must be given at least 60 days in advance whenever possible.
- Time away for conferences is based on rotation, number of "administrative days" available, and the discretion of the PD. Number of days off for job and fellowship interviews will also be taken into account. The above guidelines are effective July 1, 2016.
The subject matter of the research or presentation is determined by the resident in consultation with their faculty advisor or research mentor.
Senior Resident Talk
Prior to graduation each third year resident must prepare and present a 45 minute "Senior Talk" during the noon conference lecture series. Topics, as well as final presentations, must be reviewed by a faculty mentor. Any clinically relevant topic is acceptable as long as it is approved by the faculty mentor. Residents will not be allowed to reschedule their Senior Talks except in the case of extenuating circumstances with the approval of the PGY-3 Associate Program Director.
2016 American College of Physicians (ACP) Georgia Chapter Annual Meeting Gallery