The purpose of MSMNAA is:
- To involve students, all graduate programs (MD, PhD, MPH, MSCR, MSBR, MSBT, PA), Graduate Medical Education (GME)/residents, faculty of the School, and other physicians receiving at least one year of graduate medical education at MSM.
- To act as liaison between MSM and MSM alumni.
- To provide regional representation for MSMNAA and the Office of Extended Professional Education.
- To foster support and encourage participation of alumni in events sponsored by MSMNAA and MSM.
- To foster local, state, regional and national Association activities and to become involved in alumni fundraising activities, organizing and hosting continuing professional education symposia, and student engagement and mentoring activities.
MSMNAA Board Roles, Description and Terms
- The President shall direct the association and preside at all meetings. He/she is the ex-officio Chairman of the Executive Committee. The President is also a member of the Board of Trustees of Morehouse School of Medicine.
- Vice President/President-Elect
- The Vice President shall assume the responsibilities of the President in the President's absence. Upon the President's term end, the President-Elect will assume the role of President. The President Elect is a non-voting member of the Board of Trustees.
- The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings including an up-to-date roster of the membership. He/she shall send the required notices of all meetings of the Association and of the Executive Committee and shall keep minutes of such meetings.
- Assistant Secretary
- The Assistant Secretary shall act in the absence of the Secretary. In the event the office of Secretary becomes vacant, the Assistant Secretary shall assume the duties of the Secretary, pending the appointment of a Secretary.
- The Treasurer shall collect monies for Association activities and shall ensure that all bills relating to a function are paid in a timely manner.
- Assistant Treasurer
- The Assistant Treasurer shall act in the absence of the Treasurer. In the event the office of the Treasurer becomes vacant, the Assistant Treasurer will assume the duties of the Treasurer, pending the appointment of a Treasurer.
- MSMNAA Executive Committee
- Consists of the President, Vice President/President-elect, Secretary, Treasurer and Immediate Past President.
Election Process & Nomination Committee
The election process for MSMNAA is to be good steward to the institution.
The election process is governed by the Nomination Committee. The Nomination Committee is chaired by the outgoing president and will present the slate of officers after which nominations will be open to the floor.
2020 Nominating Committee: B. David Blake, MD (Outgoing President), Harold Moore, MD (Treasurer), Joy Baker, MD, Dietrick Cox, PhD, MPH, Keri Norris, MD.
The Election Timeline and Ballot
The voting period will take place between 7 AM ET, Monday, August 10, 2020 through Monday, August 17, 2020 (11:59 PM ET). Voting will close August 17, 2020 at 11:59 PM ET.
Voting for the 2020 – 2022 MSMNAA Board elections will occur on a platform called “Election Runner.”
The Election Runner iOS & Android mobile app is available as a free download on iTunes & Google Play. The purpose of the mobile app is to provide voters with an easy way to find an organization and its currently running elections. The mobile app is not required for voters to vote on their mobile device. Election Runner is a web application, which means voters can access elections from any internet connected device by using their device’s web browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.). The mobile app can be a convenient way for voters to search for and find an organization’s elections, but it is not necessary for the majority of use-cases.
Learn more information regarding the Election Runner Application.
Eligible paid members of the Alumni Association will receive an email with a link and instructions on Monday, August 10. The email will include your voter ID and voter key. The link will not be accessible prior to the election period.
Join the MSMNAA
To activate your membership, please submit your dues here on or before August 8, 2020 before 11:59 PM EST to participate in the election process.
For questions concerning your membership, please contact email@example.com.
Voting is open to all current MSMNAA members. To check your membership status and to verify up to date contact information and email, click here. To activate your membership, please submit your dues on or before Saturday, August 8, 2020, 11:59 PM ET to participate in the election process.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I submit a write-in nomination? The ELECTION RUNNER electronic ballot will have write-in candidate information. Write-in candidates must be paid members of MSMNAA.
- How long are the board terms? All Officer and Board terms are for 2 years.
- When will the election results be announced? Election results will be announced within 24 -48 hours of the close of voting period.
- What if there is a ‘tie’? In the event of a tie, ELECTION RUNNER will generate a ‘run-off’ ballot and additional instructions will be provided.
- Why is the 2020 MSMNAA election utilizing ELECTION RUNNER as a voting platform? The 2020 MSMNAA Nominating Committee and Executive Committee vetted several voting platforms, ELECTION RUNNER was found to be the most secure, encrypted, user friendly, accessible, customizable and cost-effective platform for MSMNAA.
- Will I be able to vote with ELECTION RUNNER using my mobile or smartphone? Yes, ELECTION RUNNER can be accessed with mobile, smartphone, tablets or laptop/desktop computers.
If you have any questions, regarding the election or nominations, duties of officers, please view the MSMNAA By-Laws.