Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) is the regional body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern states. The Commission’s mission is the enhancement of education quality throughout the region and the improvement of the effectiveness of institutions by ensuring that they meet standards established by the higher education community that address the needs of society and students. It serves as the common denominator of shared values and practices among the diverse institutions in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Latin America, and other international sites approved by SACSCOC that award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, or doctoral degrees. SACSCOC also accepts applications from other international institutions of higher education.
Why is SACSCOC important to MSM?
Being granted accreditation by SACSCOC means that Morehouse School of Medicine:
- has a mission appropriate to higher education,
- has resources, programs, and services sufficient to accomplish and sustain that mission, and
- maintains clearly specified educational objectives that are consistent with its mission and appropriate to the degrees its offers, and that indicate whether it is successful in achieving its stated objectives.
The reaffirmation process was completed. During this time, the following reaffirmation steps will occur in the upcoming years:
- 2027: Institution will be reviewed by the Fifth-Year Interim Committee.
- 2028 (December): Institution will have their Reaffirmation Orientation
- 2031: SACSCOC Board of Trustees will act on the results of the next comprehensive review of the institution’s compliance with the Principles of Accreditation.
Morehouse School of Medicine is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award masters and doctorate degrees. Questions about the accreditation of Morehouse School of Medicine may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).